Bengaluru: In an address to the people of Karnataka through television news channels and social media platforms, Chief Minister B.S. Yediyurappa on Tuesday said there would be no more lockdowns in the southern state from Wednesday.
“As lockdown is not a solution to defeat COVID-19, there will not be anymore lockdown in Bengaluru or anywhere in Karnataka,” Yediyurappa told the people in a 20-minute address in Kannada from here on Tuesday evening.
The 9-day renewed lockdown in Bengaluru Urban and Rural districts ends at 5 a.m. on Wednesday.
“The only way to fight coronavirus pandemic is to compulsorily wear masks, wash hands, and maintain social distancing by every citizen. Each citizen has to take care of his/her health by strictly following the guidelines,” asserted the Chief Minister.
Restrictions on the movement of people and vehicles will continue in containment areas across Bengaluru and cities and towns where more COVID cases are reported.
Admitting that there was a delay in getting test reports earlier, Yediyurappa said steps have been taken to ensure they (reports) were delivered in 24 hours.
“We have been taking measures to contain the virus spread in the state since mid-March and control the situation in hotspots. A real-time dashboard has been set up to track beds for COVID-19 patients,” the chief minister reiterated.
Referring to reports of COVID positive patients attempting to commit suicide, the chief minister appealed to them not to resort to drastic action but recover soon.
Refuting the opposition Congress charges of irregularities and corruption in the purchase of medical equipment, Yediyurappa said not a rupee had been misappropriated and all expenditure had been accounted for.
“I appeal to the opposition to make constructive criticism but not hinder our work and service to the people in this hour of crisis. This is not the time to bicker but cooperate with the government in fighting the pandemic,” he added.