Friday, November 27, 2020
Home Slider Indian govt bans 47 more Chinese apps, likely to ban PUBG

Indian govt bans 47 more Chinese apps, likely to ban PUBG

Indian government bans 59 Chinese apps to preserve the integrity and sovereignty of the country, the Indian government has announced its plan to ban 47 more such apps. It has called these as the “clones” of the already banned apps. A total of 275 China-owned applications are going to be banned in the near future, according to sources.

The 59 apps were banned in the latter half of June as the government said that the move is to “protect national interest and security”. The list included names of top and infamous apps like TikTok-the video making and sharing platform, UC Browser, Shein, Clean Master, Likee, Helo, Shareit, Mi Community and many more. That ban was announced under the provisions of Section 69A of the Information Technology Act.

In a fresh development, the government’s decision to rule out another 47 apps has taken the limelight. However, the names in the list are yet to be announced. Reports suggest that the same could be done officially soon.

According to DD News’s tweet, the new list of 47 apps include those which were functioning as duplicates of the previously banned 59 apps. Another report of India Today TV mentioned government sources saying that a tab of over 250 applications have been carved out which will be evaluated to see if they violate the privacy and security regulations of the country.

To much of the disappointment of gamers in India, the infamous app PUBG is also being speculated to have made to the new list of banned Chinese apps. Nevertheless, any solid news could be released only post the official announcement of the government.

On order of the Indian government, Telco had blocked access to the 59 apps. The websites of these apps were also ceased from functioning in the country after the public announcement regarding their ban.

Google Play Store was still showing the option for downloading many of the banned apps, however, the Centre then directed Apple and Google to remove the apps from the list offered to Indians on their App Stores.

The sudden move was taken after the violent face-off between the soldiers of China and India at the Galwan Valley. However, the Indian government says that it has done so to protect the sovereignty of the nation.

The banned apps have been given a 3 weeks time to respond to the 77 questions that the Ministry of Information and Technology has asked them regarding the privacy concerns. Reuters has seen the questionnaire as well.

The companies of the banned apps have been asked as to whether they promoted or demoted content on the behalf of foreign countries, worked on the behest of them and censored content.