Hyderabad police placed Mohammed Mushtaq Malik of the Tehreek Muslim Shabban and other leaders of his organization under house arrest on Wednesday ahead of their proposed ‘Million March’ against blasphemous comments of suspended BJP leader Nupur Sharma.
The police also booked Malik, who announced that on the suggestion made by police authorities in view of the situation in other states he was withdrawing the call for ‘Million March’.
Joint Action Committee (JAC), comprising Tehreek Muslim Shabban and some other organisations, had announced ‘Million March’ on June 18 at Indira Park in the heart of the city to demand arrest of Nupur Sharma.
Malik, however, said the police have assured him that permission will be granted for a public meeting on the same issue at Yakutpura Bada Bazar in the old city on June 18.
He said their proposed march was not against any community or party but was against those who made derogatory remarks about the Prophet. He said several JAC leaders were also placed under house arrest.
The police swung into action after Malik and other leaders announced the plans for ‘Million March’. A case was also booked against him at Chaderghat police station.
Taking suo-motu action, police registered a case under Indian Penal Code (IPC) sections 153(A) (Promoting enmity between two communities), 295(A) (intended to outrage religious feelings) and 505(2) (hatred or ill-will between classes).
A policeman had lodged the complaint that Malik through his social media posts has been appealing to members of the Muslim community to join ‘Million March’.
Police are on alert in view of the massive protests that broke out at different places in the city after Friday prayers. In Mehdipatnam area, police resorted to lathi charge to disperse the protesters.
As the protests in some other states in the country led to violence, Hyderabad police had been keeping a tight vigil on the situation. During the last two days, it foiled the attempts made at two places by some BJP workers to take out rallies in support of Nupur Sharma.
The JAC headed by Malik had organised a Million March in January 2020 against Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA) and National Register of Citizens (NRC). It evoked a huge response. The police had subsequently booked cases against Malik and other organisers.
(This story has been sourced from a third-party syndicated feed, agencies. Raavi Media accepts no responsibility or liability for the dependability, trustworthiness, reliability, and data of the text. Raavi Media managementythisnews.com reserves the sole right to alter, delete or remove (without notice) the content at its absolute discretion for any reason whatsoever.)