Tuesday, July 16, 2024
HomeCrimeAnother Manipur gang-rape horror comes to light after over 100 days

Another Manipur gang-rape horror comes to light after over 100 days

Another horrific case of rape and torture has come to light in ethnic violence-hit Manipur after the survivor — now living in a relief camp — filed a detailed complaint with the police unfolding the crime that took place on May 3.

The 37-year-old married woman said in her complaint: “Five-six people got hold of me and started verbally abusing and assaulting me. Despite my resistance, I was forcefully pinned down.

“After this, they started sexually assaulting me… They inserted their fingers into my private part in a violent manner. There was no help coming from anybody despite my cries for help.

Also Read: MP shocker: Minor girl, missing overnight, gangraped on temple premises

“Thereafter, some more men joined them. At that time, I lost consciousness. Later, when I regained my senses, I found myself in a house surrounded by some Meitei people.”

The woman from Churachandpur district filed the FIR and a separate detailed complaint at the Bishnupur women’s police station on Thursday, diving details of the horrific incident that took place on May 3, the day ethnic violence erupted in the northeastern state.

The non-tribal woman alleged that she was severely assaulted and gang-raped on May 3 when she, her family members and neighbours were trying to flee from their homes after a mob attacked and burnt down their houses at Churachandpur, one of the worst hit districts in Manipur amid the ongoing violence.

A medical examination of the victim was conducted after the registration of the FIR. According to the police in Imphal, the women’s police station in Bishnupur has forwarded the case to Churachandpur police station for further investigation.

“I carried my niece on my back and also held my two sons and started running from the spot along with my sister-in-law. She was also carrying a baby on her back and running ahead of me.

“Then I stumbled and fell down on the road and was unable to get up after running about half a kilometre from my home. My sister-in-law came back running towards me and picked up my niece from my back and ran along with my two sons,” the complaint said.

The victim also said that she did not disclose the incident earlier to save herself and her family’s honour and dignity, and to safeguard themselves from social ostracism.

The woman was treated at the Regional Institute of Medical Science and Jawaharlal Nehru Institute of Medical Science, both in Imphal.

“Now, I have decided to come forward and file this complaint since I started realising the trauma and suffering that I went through because of the heinous crimes committed against me without any fault of mine. Adequate punishment should be given to the culprits for sexually and physically assaulting me in the most horrific manner.

“So, I am disclosing my ordeal and all the facts since I feel morally obliged to report this ghastly crime,” the woman stated. Last month, a horrific video of two women being paraded naked on a road by a group of men in Manipur on May 4 was shared widely on social media, drawing nationwide  condemnation and calls for action.

So far, nine accused persons seen in the video have been arrested. The Supreme Court had also criticised the Manipur government on this issue.








(This story is sourced from a third-party syndicated feed. Raavi Media takes no responsibility or liability of any nature. Raavi Media management/ythisnews.com can alter or delete the content without notice for any reason.)